Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hollywood's Biggest Horror - Unoriginality

Recently, after persuading my boyfriend, I went to see James Watkin's "The Woman in Black." Needless to say, as a horror movie buff, I wasn't impressed with the film. 


"The Woman in Black" is the story of widowed lawyer, Arthur Kipps, who is sent to the small town of Crythin Gifford to put the affairs of the late Mrs. Alice Drablow to rest. Unknowingly, Kipps walks into a horror story straight from the sickly marshes.  Children are locked in their houses, unable to play outside or look a mere stranger in the eye. Why? The parents of Crythin Gifford are too afraid of local secret that they refuse to tell, leaving Arthur Kipps to wallow in the marshes himself.


Not only is "The Woman in Black" a remake, it's the remake of a play production.

Horror stories in this generation are generally growing duller with every movie. Why? We've heard almost all of the stories before!

I'm not mocking the movie at all, please, don't think that. The theater I watched the film in was filled with screaming movie goers and small children. I'm just saying originality isn't subtle now a days and with Susan Hill's original story "The Woman in Black" being made into a cheap thriller whose story is altered from the original, I personally believe that Hollywood needs to look into being more original. It's ether that, or the script writers or authors need to take a look into what we, the movie goers, never seen before.


 

3 comments:

  1. I like horror movies myself, and I am also finding that a lot of them are based on older movies. I have seen a lot of remakes since I was "allowed" to watch scary movies, and it does get drab after SO many of them do it over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie sounds interesting. Does it have a good ending? Also, about Hollywood running out of ideas, I would agree. Most movies seem repeats or same story lines, but what can Hollywood do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points! I know some people who saw it who are big horror movie buffs and they were pretty disappointed as well.

    ReplyDelete